More Information

Young male smiling

General Information

Individual Personal Care Assistant (PCA) Information

The PCA program is for people enrolled in one of Minnesota’s Health Care Programs (MHCP) who need to support with daily activities in order to remain independent in the community. PCA workers support people as they carry out daily activities like dressing, grooming and eating. PCAs also accompany people into the community. For more information on Personal Care Assistance, see the Personal Care Assistance page on the DHS website.

Community First Services and Supports (CFSS) Information

DHS is in the process of replacing PCA with CFSS. CFSS is similar to PCA in many ways, but it will offer participants more control, flexibility, responsibility and choice in how they use the service. The eligibility for CFSS will be the same as the eligibility for PCA. Follow this link for further information regarding CFSS.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Most people who visit this site need to take the PCA/CFSS support worker test. If you wish to provide PCA services through a PCA agency enrolled with DHS, take the PCA/CFSS worker test. To prepare for the test, take the PCA/CFSS worker training and then register for the PCA/CFSS support worker test.

If you want to become a PCA agency owner, manager or Qualified Professional, you need to attend the PCA Steps for Success training. Beginning April 2020, you need pass the PCA Steps for Success pre-test to register to attend Steps for Success.

If you are not sure which test you need to take, ask your employer.

Submit a request using DHS’s certificate request form. Complete the required information and check the box or boxes indicating what informantion you need updated.

If you cannot find your certificate, try the following:

  1. Check your email. When you passed the test, you should have received an email from
  2. Attempt to retrieve your certificate by going to the bottom of the registration page and enter your information.
  3. If neither of the above work, fill out this form and we will contact you to assist you.

You need to take the PCA/CFSS support worker test.

Not at this time. DHS is in the process of transition from PCA to CFSS. When DHS is closer to implementing CFSS, DHS will issue further instructions.

You need to take the PCA Steps for Success pre-test.

After registering, you should receive an email with a link to the exam. Check your email, including your junk folder, for an email from If you do not have an email from that address, you may have entered your email address wrong. Make sure you have your correct email address and try registering again.